About Douglass-Clark House
The Douglass-Clark House was established as a home in 1786, when Tennessee was still part of North Carolina, by Elmore Douglass and Elmore's home was used as an early courthouse for the young county. Future president Andrew Jackson made several trips to the house to practice law during court hearings from 1788-1790. The house and land was eventually purchased by Elmore's brother Reuben and given to Reuben's daughter, Emma (Douglass) Clark. The Clark family witnessed four Clark sons enlisted to fight in the Civil War for the Confederacy as well as a self-emancipated enslaved man, formerly owned by Emma, who enlisted for the North to fight against Confederacy. The Douglass-Clark House sits on Station Camp Creek and its greenway that is several miles in length is available to walk next to the property. The Douglass-Clark House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Open year-round for guided house tours; closed all major holidays & the third full week in January.
- Tuesdays – Saturdays
- 9am – 4:30pm
Special Events at the Douglass-Clark House:
November – Backyard Bluegrass Bash